CERC Community Organization Research Training
Research Training for Community-Based Organization Training
FREE Six-part ONLINE Training Series
- Learn how to apply research principles to increase your program’s impact.
- Learn how to determine if your program is working.
- Learn how to document your program’s impact using language that attracts funders.
11:30 am to 1:30 pm
April 13 Introduction to Research
April 20 Research Methods
April 27 Building Sustainable Partnerships
May 4 Program Evaluation
May 11 Funding I
May 19 Funding II
Session 1 (April 13, 2022): Introduction to Research
•Describe key steps in the research process
•Identify safeguards that are in place to make research safe and ethical
•Develop a preliminary research question based on community‐identified problems/concerns.
Session 2 (April 20, 2022): Research Methods
•Conduct a basic literature review based on working research questions
•Identify different types of research designs
•Identify the best research design for working research questions
•Explain how translation and dissemination fit into the overall research paradigm.
Session 3 (April 27, 2022): Building Sustainable Partnerships
•Identify specific contributions that community organizations/members and academic researchers give to a research partnership
•State the benefits that community organizations/members and academic researchers get from thepartnership
•Identify key working agreements and processes that should be developed during partnership development
•Identify specific strategies to promote trust and manage conflict.
Session 4 (May 4, 2022): Program Evaluation
•Describe the goal of program evaluation
•Develop a basic logic model for program evaluation
•Identify scenarios in which program evaluation and research are needed.
Session 5 (May 11, 2022): Funding: Part I
• List organizational factors that need to be in place prior to applying for and receiving funding
• List potential funding sources that are relevant to your community organizations
• Initiate a funding announcement query within relevant funding agency databases
• Compete tasks needed to accomplish common pre‐application requirements.
Session 6 (May 19, 2022): Funding: Part II
• Key steps in developing a high quality proposal
• Demonstrate confidence in writing different proposal components
• Identify key budget development steps
• List strategies to promote efficient post‐award management.