CERC Community Organization Research Training
Research Training for Community-Based Organization Training
FREE Six-part ONLINE Training Series
- Learn how to apply research principles to increase your program’s impact.
- Learn how to determine if your program is working.
- Learn how to document your program’s impact using language that attracts funders.
11:30 am to 1:30 pm
May 19 Introduction to Research
May 26 Research Methods
June 2 Building Sustainable Partnerships
June 9 Program Evaluation
June 16 Funding I
June 24 Funding II
Session 1 (May 19, 2021): Introduction to Research
•Describe key steps in the research process
•Identify safeguards that are in place to make research safe and ethical
•Develop a preliminary research question based on community‐identified problems/concerns.
Facilitator: Kymberly Byrd & Robert Marx
Session 2 (May 26, 2021): Research Methods
•Conduct a basic literature review based on working research questions
•Identify different types of research designs
•Identify the best research design for working research questions
•Explain how translation and dissemination fit into the overall research paradigm.
Facilitator: Jennifer Erves
Session 3 (June 2, 2021): Building Sustainable Partnerships
•Identify specific contributions that community organizations/members and academic researchers give to a research partnership
•State the benefits that community organizations/members and academic researchers get from thepartnership
•Identify key working agreements and processes that should be developed during partnership development
•Identify specific strategies to promote trust and manage conflict.
Facilitator: Barbara Clinton
Session 4 (June 9, 2021): Program Evaluation
•Describe the goal of program evaluation
•Develop a basic logic model for program evaluation
•Identify scenarios in which program evaluation and research are needed.
Facilitator: Sarah Suiter
Session 5 (June 16, 2021): Funding: Part I
• List organizational factors that need to be in place prior to applying for and receiving funding
• List potential funding sources that are relevant to your community organizations
• Initiate a funding announcement query within relevant funding agency databases
• Compete tasks needed to accomplish common pre‐application requirements.
Facilitator: Patrick Luther
Session 6 (June 24, 2021): Funding: Part II
• Key steps in developing a high quality proposal
• Demonstrate confidence in writing different proposal components
• Identify key budget development steps
• List strategies to promote efficient post‐award management.
Facilitators: Alexis Gorden